Monday, July 14, 2008

Fannie & Freddie, The USD, and Jim Rogers

In an interview with Bloomberg, Jim Rogers spoke about many of the recent government bailouts of companies in the private sector (Bear Stearns, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, Fed Reserve actions in the credit markets) and the future implications of these bailouts and interventions. It's a shocking viewpoint, though most interviews I've seen featuring Jim Rogers have him panicking about something. But he has been relatively prescient about the recent run-up in gold and oil prices, which makes his opinion worth considering. I hope he's wrong, though much of the economic theory I have read indicates it is likely he'll be proven right, at least on the future value of the US dollar. It's probably a poor idea to rely on hope however.

If the USD plummets further, at least it would help me with paying off my student loans.

No comments: